Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lights

I love lights... and shadows.

Two rays of light crossing above my head.

Many years back I would light a candle in the evening and make small installations of object partially lit and partially hidden in the dark and then I would sit for hours, look at them and take photos.

They fall slowly on the ground.

I loved the evenings spent with a white wall, a bucket of water and a mirror. I kept running here and there to bring various paper cuttings, tiny bottles, crystals and we sat and watched the designs coming to life on a white wall in front of us.

The barrier of light dividing the space into here and there.

I loved the night when you put a tiny bulb into the water tap and when I reached the water station to quench my thirst all I could think of was the beautiful colour of the water, the ripples, the bubbles... Magic...

Lines of light crawling on the floor.

I loved those days in Rajasthan when we did not have electricity and had to rehearse in the light of huge battery lamps and whenever I would turn I could see my shadow on the wall laughing and playing with me.

Light and darkness, light and darkness, light and darkness...

I love watching how the light falls on the body making it even more mysterious than it actually is. A ray of light following your movements, the beams of light dancing on a man in front of me. A man dancing in the beams of light in front of me. Is it the light that is dancing or a man?
A flush of light on his shoulder... on his stomach... on his thigh... and suddenly each of these body parts becomes something different. Look at you hand in the yellow light, green light, red... Each time you will think that it gained its own identity. Like words written with different colours. Black ants. Blue memories. Green hopes. Red scream.

A thin line of light moving above their heads.

She used to catch the rays of light that were thrown at her. The elephant playing outside the temple.
I woke up in the middle of the night an my room was full of moving lights. I was mesmerised. I couldn't move for hours. Thousands of fireflies above my head.

Two rays of light raise from the ground and fly away towards the ceiling.

We leave the theatre. I stop to catch the net of lights one last time. I look up. You were also there. I smile. I leave alone.